Admin & info

administrative info

Administrative information

Expand All|Collapse All
to see individual description expand the branch


phoneContacting the school

+ Who do I contact if I have a concern about my child's progress/behaviour?

The first point of contact is always your child’s guidance /pastoral care teacher. (Ask your child for their name or check the timetable).

+ What is the school's preferred method of contact if a child is sick?

Email to or phone before 10am (or you will get a text saying your child is absent).

busAbsence/ lateness

timetableSchool day

+ How is the school organised into periods and breaks?

School Day

p.1 08:50 09:40
p.2 09:40 10:30
p.3 10:45 11:35
p.4 11:35 12:45
p.5 12:25 13:15
p.6 14:05 14:55
p.7 14:55 15:45
end of school day
p.1 08:50 09:40
p.2 09:40 10:30
p.3 10:50 11:40
p.4 11:40 12:30
p.5 12:30 13:20
end of school day

schoolSchool Houses

+ How are pupils allocated to houses?

There are three Houses; Cademuir, Dunrig and Meldon with each House comprising a Head of House, Principal Teachers and Form Tutors. Allocation depends on... Harry Potter's hat, or...?

+ What are the duties of the Head of House?

A Head of House is invariably a sixth form student who forms the liaison point for students on all house matters. They also act as motivator for house competition.

uniformDress code/ uniform

+ What is the official school uniform?

Traditional black shoes
White shirt or blouse and tie worn appropriately and modestly
Black sweatshirt with school crest
Black trousers and skirts (of a length that is appropriate for modesty)
White school polo shirts in s1-s4 with crest
PE kit black shorts and plain white t shirt with no logos
ALL hats and caps must be removed in school
All coats and jackets removed in class.
Any pupil who is not wearing school uniform will be issued with a demerit. If a pupil accrues three or more demerits they will have privileges removed including attending school trips and social events.

+ Which items of clothing/jewellery are specifically not allowed in school?

Modest jewellery allowed but must be removed at PE. No responsibility for losses can be taken but stolen goods must be taken up with the school via the office.
We request make up is restrained and is minimal.

+ How do I order extra items of school uniform?

Ties, polo tops with logos and school sweatshirts can be ordered all year via the office, forms available on school website.
School team kit for Rugby and hockey can be purchased at PE department
Team socks are available from the Castle Warehouse.

School policies

+ What are the school's policies?

Using advice relating to the Curriculum for Excellence,, a decision was made to move to twelve core policies within the school. We see these areas as our core business. Read more here....

bus School buses

+ Do I need to collect my child from school if the bus didn't turn up?

Yes but only if the bus is not running back in the afternoon, just double check at the office when you drop off your child in the morning. If the bus has taken the child to school then it is the bus company’s responsibility to bring the child home.

+ Who should I contact if my child lost/left something on the bus?

Firstly the bus company.
First Bus : 01896 758116
Munro's : 01835 862253
SBC Bus : 01835 825123
McKendry : 0131 440 1013
Allan's : 01875 820377

+ Who should I contact about behaviour on the bus?

Firstly the guidance teacher and if not happy can follow up with the senior management team.

+ What do I do if I wish my child to travel on another bus?

Passes will not normally be issued for travel on other contract buses unless the pupil has had a change of address that requires a change of bus pass. However, the child can travel on any service bus from the school if they wish to pay. If the parent wishes a change due to other circumstances, then they should put it in writing to the school, with a reason for the request. They can also contact Passenger Transport at SBC who actually need to authorise any changes requested in any event.

+ Can children catch a bus after clubs finish?

Unfortunately, the school does not issue bus passes to children for after-school activities. It is therefore up to the child to find their own way home.

glovesLost property

+ Who do I contact about lost property?

Lost property is sent initially to the office for a period of two weeks. Any named items are returned, while non-named items of uniform are washed and retained. Non-uniform items are kept by the office and then sold to support funds. (If property lost on the bus, see school buses, above).


Inclement weather

+ What does my child do in bad weather?


Weather: see also Snow Days or  Radio Borders for weather updates (simply use the 'click to play' button)


Purchasing tickets for events

+ How do I purchase tickets to school concerts, shows and so on?

Tickets for events usuallly go on sale via the school office and occassionally one of the shops in the town will also sell them. An alert will come via email. If you are not signed up for email you can do so here.


+ When will I know if my child has a locker and how are they allocated?

A form is given in P7 to purchase one and allocated in the first few weeks of S1 by the school janitor, although it can take longer! You can choose to take a locker for one year or all the way up to sixth year.


+ When is the library open for pupils?

The LRC catalogue can be accessed from any PC, at home or school. It offers search options, access to your personal record, and allows you to renew items, see what you have out on loan, and place reservations. See more here ...


tripsExtra curricular/ Clubs, activities, trips

+ What trips may be available to my child throughout their 6 years at PHS?

There are a variety of trips available throughout and vary per year but in the past there are several in s1 including an "all s1" residential and optional foreign trips. Later on school trips are offered in relation to specific subjects and also for sporting experiences. These are not guaranteed and you will get letters home via your child when they are offered. They are mainly funded by parents/carers. Places go quickly on popular trips, so pupils need to remain aware and respond quickly to announcements.

Social network

+ Who operates the facebook page for 'PHS Parents'?

This is set up by parents for parents and the school is not allowed access via SBC rules. At the moment it is organised by the chair of the PTA and all parent group leaders can post information on it.